Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Music Engineering Tips - Part 1

Hey folks!

As a music producer I learned to use Digital Performer first, moved to Logic and now work in Ableton.  I make House/EDM/Pop Music.  I did not go to audio-engineering school but I have a Masters in Physics and when I started I had the hubris to think I could figure it all out on my own!  Well it is a long road!  With the help of tutorials and many nights of frustration I was able to produce the tracks that you hear on my soundcloud page today. 

I am going to post the audio-engineering tutorials that I learned the most from over the next few weeks.

This first article is an interview with hit music producer Darren Tate.

 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/darrentate.htm

Here are my favorite tips from the article:


- Side-chain the delay and reverb sends by putting a compressor on the send track.


- Open a filter just before a turn around.


- If a bass line is not even in different pitches you may need to eq for those pitches rather than only compress.


- Bounce all the drums, strings and bass in separate mixes and listen to them individually.


- Put flanger and phaser on vox.

I'll be back soon and in the meantime feel free to check out new content on my website www.mackiemusic.com and subscribe to my blog!  

Cecilia xo

No comments:

Post a Comment